What is a healthcare allowance in the Netherlands?
Healthcare allowance is a benefit that the government gives for having Dutch healthcare insurance, to help relieve the cost of health insurance. You can calculate the healthcare you can receive by using the calculator on the tax authority website.
Healthcare allowance does not change according to your monthly premium or compulsory deductibility, but according to your income.
How to request healthcare allowance
To request a healthcare allowance, you will need to satisfy these demands:
- You are 18 years or older
- Your income is lower than €30,481 per year for 2020)
- Your capital is lower than €116,613 for 2020)
- You have Dutch nationality, a residence permit, a work permit or you are from a European country (EER)
- You have a Dutch healthcare insurance
If all these requirements apply to you, then you can request a healthcare allowance. You can seek a healthcare allowance on the tax authority website.
Bear in mind that you will need a DigiD.
Nevertheless, if one of these situations occurs for you, you will need to report this to the tax authorities:
- You have a change in your income
- You are accepted into the Dutch military
- You will live together or marry a partner.
- You will live on your own or divorce your partner.
- You change your bank account number.
Report these changes within four weeks to get your corrected healthcare allowance as soon as possible. You can report these changes using your DigiD.
You can request a healthcare allowance until the 1st of September in the following year. This means that if you claim your allowance before the 1st of September 2021, you will receive it for 2020.
You can also request a healthcare allowance for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. Still, you would need to have Dutch healthcare insurance and an income tax deferral, for those years, which new students don’t have. The process for calculating the healthcare allowance for past years will take approximately one week and you will receive your healthcare allowance within three months.